Monday, March 5, 2012

Chemo fatigue

Since December, there isn't much to report.  Christmas was celebrated.  The four of us enjoyed a week of camping near the sea.  I took my hormone replacement tablets and stopped having hot flushes.  The summer break was, overall, quite good.

I saw Dr Giri in February and all was well, until yesterday afternoon when my energy disappeared and today I am chemo-tired.  I am fairly sure that's what it is because there aren't really any other explanations for why I would feel so weary.

I have also, during the last few weeks, been experiencing random sharp pains in the middle of the left hand side of my chest.  Yesterday they happened quite a few times so today I went to the doctor to see if it was anything sinister and to get it sorted out.  The ECG showed a regular heartbeat, albeit slow at 50 bpm.  The doctor did say it was pretty low but that some elite sportspeople have resting heart rates around that mark.  I'm not sure that going to the gym a bit and running sometimes makes me elite, but my heart thinks so.  Tomorrow I'll have a blood test to check a bunch of things and I will also have a chest x-ray, just to check it out.  The doctor suspects the pains are muscular-skeletal, but thought it best to check through everything.

I have a number of theories and one or more may be true. There is some evidence to suggest that ladies experience chest pain due to their HRT, so this may contribute.  I feel a bit stressed at times so I wonder whether that might be part of it and the last part is the muscular skeletal aspect, which I think could contribute too. We shall see.

Apart from this, I have decided to attempt a half marathon at the end of May and so have started training.  It's only early days, but so far it's been going ok.

At the end of April, I will be having a suite of tests to see how things are going, as part of the study that I participated in for my treatment.  I will have a lung function test, a heart function test and a CT scan, as well as the usual blood test.  I will try not to be too worried about what the tests may or may not reveal, but it will be hard.  I find myself subconsciously stressing as the time gets closer.  I continue to hope and pray that everything will still be clear. 

In early May, it'll be two years since I finished treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment